Tenant Wanted – Ye Olde Cross Inn, Ryton village
Ryton Cross Community Society Ltd Tenant Wanted – Ye Olde Cross Inn, Ryton village
Location: Barmoor Lane, Ryton NE40 3QP
Salary: Business Opportunity
Posted: 8 February 2019
Closes: 22 February 2019
A Fabulous Opportunity To Take Tenancy Of A Community Owned Pub, Free Of Tie And With Unrestricted Profit Potential. £10,000 deposit bond required.
Ye Olde Cross Inn is located in a conservation area, in the centre of Ryton village, a small town on the River Tyne in the west of Gateshead Metropolitan Borough. The pub has recently been purchased by Ryton Cross Community Society (RCCS Ltd) with investment from over 300 community members. RCCS Ltd is now seeking to appoint a passionate and capable tenant/s to work with the local community to re-open and re-establish this important village asset as the first community pub in the Tyne Valley.
ABOUT THE PUB
Situated in the heart of the village, Ye Olde Cross overlooks the village green and is adjacent to the Community Centre and the Holy Cross Church. The original inn dates from the mid-19th century and was enlarged – if not rebuilt – in 1909. For more than 150 years it has been a focus for the local community. The property has a ground floor bar with potential capacity for up to 40 covers, a small ground floor room, outside seating areas to front and back and on the first floor a large function room and a commercial kitchen. The property also includes a 2 bedroomed apartment with private outside walled space.
The pub which has been closed since January 2018 was put up for sale by its previous owners EI Group in March 2018. Ryton Cross Community Society Ltd purchased the property on behalf of the community on 29 January 2019 and work will be starting on the refurbishment with a view to re-open in late spring 2019.
The community bought Ye Olde Cross to secure its long-term future as a family-friendly pub for the benefit of Ryton and its surrounding areas. It will be the first community pub in Ryton, and the Tyne Valley. There is strong community support for the pub as evidenced by the large number of investors and the local businesses and organisations already involved in our project.
Our aim is to create a pub owned by the community, run for the benefit of that community and a place that celebrates our great village, region and its people. We want a welcoming pub, serving high quality food and drink, which is also a base for community activities such as our traditional ‘pub on the green’ events. Ye Olde Cross will also provide opportunities and useful services to the people in the local area, as well as supporting other businesses in Ryton.
We seek a tenant who will be part of the community and who will work with us to develop community activities e.g day time café services, community use of the function room, in addition to running the pub to provide themselves with a first-rate livelihood. We aim for the tenant to have ultimate freedom to grow the business as they see fit as we are keen for the pub to become a secure and sustainable business. Given the strength of our community involvement and investment though, we would ideally see this as a working partnership between the community and the tenant. The successful applicant(s) will share our vision for the pub to become a community hub and will wish to embed themselves at the heart of village life.
- ‘Free of tie’
- Tenancy agreement of between 3 and 5 years
- £28,000 pa rent to include 2-bedroom accommodation with a private outside area (heavily discounted in year 1-2)
- Self-employed opportunity and freedom to deliver your own high quality food offering
- Community Owned
- Strong community organisations and local business support
- Opportunity to be part of an innovative partnership development
- Opportunity to live and work in a beautiful historical village setting, near to all amenities (only 20 minutes away from the centre of Newcastle)
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- A commercially astute individual or couple who will enjoy being part of the local community and who are looking for a long-term commitment to this pub, its business and its community.
- Community-minded – ability and personality to reach out to everyone in the village and develop an exciting calendar of social events along with the community
- Excellent people skills, a talent for driving sales, and positive ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Excellent communication skills are essential as well as an ability to manage difficult situations sensitively.
- A passion for fine ales and high quality food plus the ability to develop the business in order to maximise long-term sustainability. It is vital that you have and can demonstrate the necessary skills to run an effective food operation.
- Hard-working with strong organisational and financial skills
- Proven ability to manage, train and motivate staff. We seek a tenant who understands the importance of working ethically and of demonstrating the value of being a good employer
- Willingness and ability to promote the pub across multiple media platforms and skills required to market the pub effectively.
- Experience in a customer facing environment – but experience in the pub/restaurant trade, though desired is not essential.
- You will also need to be 'hands on' and able to provide a strong and visible presence within the business. Living in will assist you in quickly becoming a part of our community.
Ryton Cross Community Benefit Society was formed in June 2018 in order to buy our local pub and to ensure that it remains an asset of the community, at the heart of our village.
We exist solely for the benefit of the local community and are not driven by the same profit profile as the big brewing companies. This means that we are able to work in close conjunction with our tenant(s) in order to ensure that the community's needs are served at the same time as providing out tenant(s) with a very worthwhile business opportunity and livelihood. Fundamental to this is the also the opportunity to build a life as part of our friendly community.
Modern-day Ryton comprises approximately 3500 households and a population of over 7500. The village is within easy access of many visitor attractions, cycling and walking routes, including Ryton Willows Nature Reserve – a short walk from the Cross – and the Keelman’s Way and Hadrian’s Wall trail which attracts over 12,000 visitors each year.
- Our Business Buyer and Market Appraisal Valuation Report commissioned from independent valuer MJD Hughes Ltd in April 2018 suggested a potential to achieve sustainable average trade of £4,000 pw, £208,000 pa.
- There will be a requirement for insurance for the building and loss of income if the licence is lost which will be purchased by RCCS Ltd but paid for by the tenant.
- There will be a security deposit of £10,000 which is returnable on expiry of the tenancy.
Please submit your expressions of interest in the tenancy by clicking apply below and outlining how you meet the desired skills and experience and your reasons for applying, enclosing a copy of your CV and contact details for references (which will only be taken up after interview stage).
Short listed applicants will be invited to interview to present their Business Plan on 11th March 2019. The interview will take the form of two panels, representatives of the RCCS Management Committee and shareholder representatives. It is advisable that you read our own Business Plan, available at www.yeoldecross.co.uk prior to interview.
For further details, a chance to view the property or informal discussions and opportunity to meet committee members please call David Catterall on 07425136141