Sous Chef - Old Bicycle Shop
Salary: £28,000pa subject to experience
OTE/Bonus Potential: TBC
Name of Site: Old Bicycle Shop
Experience required: A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a Sous Chef role
In 2013, a much-loved Cambridge institution closed its doors after 173 years’ trading. Howes Cycles claimed to be the oldest bicycle shop in the country and rumor has it that Charles Darwin, famed for his ‘Theory of Evolution’, bought a bike from this shop in the 1800s. Fast forward a century or two and you’ll now find this quaint old building has a new lease of life – as a restaurant & bar, with a quirky interior designed to celebrate the heritage of the original shop.
Open all day for brunch, lunch and dinner, The Old Bicycle Shop provides a unique setting for all sorts of occasions, from a quick coffee and brunch to a special dinner with friends. We take pride in serving fresh, locally-sourced food for all tastes, with a reputation for our vegetarian & vegan offerings, albeit there’s plenty on the menu for meat & fish lovers too!
Old Bicycle Shop is our flagship food led pub/restaurant with quality produce and dishes at the heart of the business. We’re looking for an enthusiastic, organised and skilled Sous Chef to take command of the kitchen in the head chef’s absence and assist in driving it to even higher standards under the guidance of our fantastic head chef. You will be offered creative input to menu development and have all tools available, as well as progression opportunities, to aid your final stage of development to a head chef role.
So, if you have an unrivalled passion for food, thrive in a bustling, high volume environment, and you’re looking for the perfect role and company to set you up for a head chef role, look no further…
What’s in it for our Sous Chef:
- Progressive and collaborative working environment.
- Work with fresh ingredients and evolve interesting, quirky and seasonally changing menus.
- Training and development.
- A range of company incentives and perks
- Company-wide benefits including 50% off food and 20% off drink
- Additional benefits including Cycle to Work Scheme and Employee Assistance Programme
About our Sous Chef:
- An enthusiastic, dynamic and qualified Sous Chef who takes pride in what they do and is ready for a new challenge.
- Experience running a professional kitchen including awareness of GP/food costs, food safety, rostering & team management.
- Experienced in daily ordering and kitchen management duties.
- Good communication and leadership skills.
- Calm under pressure and thrives on successfully executing a busy service!
The following skills would also be advantageous:
- A background of dealing with high volume and preparing fresh ingredients.
- A track record of assisting in the management of a 5-star rated, food hygiene rated kitchen.
- Operated by the award-winning vibrant and rapidly growing City Pub Group.
- Each one of our sites, much like our teams, is individual a unique and quirky personality!
- We believe in looking after our People just as well as we look after our customers.
Applicants must be passionate and take great pride in what they put on the plate and help us grow our good reputation further.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Steve, Petr and the Old Bicycle Shop team