Dynamic and Experienced Pub Management Couple
An opportunity has arisen to manage a "proper pub" and we are seeking an experienced management couple, capable of building on the existing sales by developing a great team to deliver an excellent customer experience.
The organised and efficient couple will manage our small, friendly pub on a daily basis, creating a fantastic local pub which continues to grow as a key part of the local community.
As our Managers you’ll be the driving force behind the commercial success of the pub, required to oversee the running of all aspects of the business, including front-of-house work, staff recruitment, accounting, stock control, cellar management, food preparation and kitchen management, events planning, marketing and advertising.
You’ll need to be commercially minded, making the right decisions to keep customers pouring through the doors but a people-person too - mindful that to many, you’re still our good old-fashioned ‘Landlord’.
And of course, you’ll have a team to look after so we’re looking for somebody with true leadership qualities – able to keep both the customers and the team smiling. You will need to promote a positive attitude and team ethos, ‘leading by example’ to set the pace and consistent standards, encouraging mutual respect.
The ideal candidates will have previous experience within a similar role. They will be excellent communicators and a have hands-on approach to their role. You'll have to constantly adapt to ensure that the pub is profitable, pleasant and safe and that it is run in accordance with the law and ethical guidelines.
Candidates must hold a personal licence.
In general, your duties will include:
- promoting a positive image of the pub, creating a positive perception at all times both internally & externally;
- interacting with customers (including serving food and drink) and ensuring that high standards of customer service are maintained and that customers are served promptly and courteously at all times, in line with hygiene and safety regulations;
- taking responsibility for stock control ensuring that the pub runs smoothly on a daily basis and is adequately stocked with all necessary goods. You will be responsible for ordering, acceptance, maintenance of stock levels and stock rotation, and return of any sub-standard items;
- monitoring profitability and performance to ensure sales targets are met or exceeded and that gross profit (including stock and employment costs) are controlled to limit the impact on the bottom line;
- reporting weekly on profit and costs; ensuring cash procedures are adhered to and strictly monitored, including cashing up of till and card machine;
- recruiting, training and managing staff, including appointing and training a deputy, producing effective rotas to ensure staffing levels are appropriate and efficient, ensuring breaks are organised in accordance with fluctuations in the volume of business;
- leading meetings to update and motivate staff, ensuring appropriate conduct and that all staff have a clear knowledge of products served, procedures and events. You will need to communicate a vision of success, which the team want to be part of;
- writing and implementing relevant procedures including health and safety, staff roles, policy documents and so on;
- implementing and monitoring cellar management procedures including regular line cleaning and ensuring regular uninterrupted provision of real ales;
- creating a profitable and well-organised kitchen from scratch, including budgeting, ordering, acceptance, maintenance of stock and stock rotation and ensuring food hygiene and safety standards are adhered to and appropriate records kept;
- organising and advertising entertainment such as live music events, comedy nights, quizzes etc (including appropriate events in the beer garden) which will involve researching and recruiting talent, budgeting for events and organising appropriate staffing and security levels;
- taking responsibility for pub safety and security, including security for events ensuring that they are staffed appropriately and in accordance with licensing laws;
- running promotional campaigns particularly around holidays and sporting events;
- ensuring regular maintenance of the premises, including cleaning and repairs, making sure cleaning rotas are adhered to and appropriate records kept;
- making sure you comply with health and safety regulations at all times in the pub, kitchen and other areas including monitoring and controlling the garden;
- maintaining relations with members of the local community, Council, Police and liquor licensing authorities, complying with and implementing all legislative and licensing requirements;
- carrying out any other reasonable request asked by Directors.
- excellent staff management and leadership skills
- highly motivated and commercially focused
- excellent communication, customer service and social skills
- proven track record of managing and running a wet-led local pub
- competent in cellar management including managing real ales
- able to organise and run a small kitchen on a daily basis
- proven knowledge of stock control and product trends
- full understanding of profit and loss accounts
- clear understanding and active knowledge of all relevant legislation
- ability to work well under pressure
- ability to engage with the local community and to drive new sales
- full clean driving licence and own transport
- literacy and numeracy skills while also being computer literate including the use of social media such as Facebook, Instagram etc.
- a personal licence
- Level 3 food hygiene certificate
- BIIAB Level 2 Award In Beer and Cellar Quality (Cask and Keg)
Non-essential, but qualifications in the following areas would be beneficial:
- business and hospitality (particularly in licensed hospitality)
- training in areas such as door supervision and drug awareness
Working hours as you would expect are irregular. The pub is open from 12.00pm until 12.00am most days so this is not a 9-5 job. You will be required to work weekends and bank/public holidays, ensuring prompt timekeeping and attendance. There will be time off which will be agreed with the chosen couple.
- highly competitive salary that is negotiable dependent on experience
- live-in accommodation if required (2 bedroom unfurnished flat with private kitchen) – sorry, no pets!
- bonus scheme
- company pension scheme
- paid holiday allowance
- first class support and development from your Directors
If you want to join this small community team in our new adventure, then please apply now. A minimum of two work and two personal references will be required. All references will be checked, so do not supply contact details of referees who are not available to contact.